Help Desk

Submit a ticket My Tickets
Welcome
Login

Nested Command Groups

As I cannot nest command groups, is there another way to get the iteration capability to work across multiple threads? I am trying to create a  chain that pulls the list of applications in my OAC environment, iterates on that list to display all the databases, and then iterates on the combination to  show the files and filters. 

• Hi Mike,

Have you tried the new Command Groups that were released on 6/26?  They should be able to provide this fucntionality to you.  I jsut used them with a customer and we iterated over a list of files to get the file information (date modified) and then using a conditional determined if we should deleted the file if it was older than X days.  This worked very well with the new Groups.  The documentation is on the Knowledge Base and the Release Notes are under the General Platform section of the Forums. 

Tony

• I cannot stack those, and I thought they replaced the regular command groups as I could not drag one command into the other any longer. Am I missing something?

• Hi Mike,

As we discussed live but for the benefit of anyone looking to the Forums for direction, Chain Events (such as Conditionals & Run Chain) can now be included in the new Command Groups.  You should be able to accomplish what you are trying to do by embedded a Run Chain Event within a Command Group.  In the Chain to be called, you can then have a Command Group that does the second level of iteration. 

Let us know how it works out for you.  You could even post a Solution Highlight if you're so inclined.

Tony

• Thanks Tony, I may need a bit more support on this one, as it seems I cannot get to the  group iterator from inside the Run Chain

• Mike,

I need you to provide more information before I can comment further.  Screenshots and a description of what you are trying to accomplish at a minimum.  

Tony

• Hi Tony,

The short of the goal was to create a cascade dump of my Essbase environment, starting with listing applications, then databases and ultimately files and filters.   

Unfortunately this was a while ago and I changed the structure of my chain to work around it, so while I may not remember exactly, I have attempted to recreate the issue as best I can. You may want to break this post up, as I think there are multiple issues that belong in different places. 

The recreated test chain looks like this, as I tested multiple things trying to recreate the issue. 

FYI, the group iterates on Applications, and the Run, Files, and Filters commands iterate on DB

The original item I reported is that the group iterator is not available in the run config.

As it turns out, it is available on the list files and filters when they are part of the chain,

Unfortunately, the chain doesn't complete when they are a part of the chain. I don't see where it tells where the issue is, I only see the files and filters cannot run due to a prior fail, but the databases is a green check. But that is a different issue for sure. 

I also do not see any iterators in the notification area

Seems List Filters does not create a file like List Files does, or it is not available in the notifications

FYI, the current solution looks like this, and works though still work in progress.

Login to post a comment