Commands can be grouped together to run either in:
- Serial: Commands run one after the other and wait for the previous Command to complete.
- Parallel: Commands are executed simultaneously.
When running a Chain with a group of Commands, the group will only be marked as "successful" if all Commands in the group succeeded or exited with a warning. If any Command in the group fails, the Command group will be treated as a "failed" result and will subsequently execute only Commands configured to run on failure.
To create a Command group or add a Command to an existing Command group, start by dragging a Command within the Studio on to eligible Commands or groups indicated by a plus icon. As soon as the plus icon sign displays, drag the Command onto that target. Note the following:
- When grouping two individual Command groups, a new Command group will be created.
- When adding a Command to a group, the input Command will be added as the last Command in the group.
Grouping Commands Support
Only BizApp Commands are supported in groups currently. Chain Events or Triggers currently cannot be added to a group.
Removing a Command from a group is as simple as adding one. Start by dragging any Command within the group onto the Studio to remove from the group.
Cancel an In-Progress Remove Command
If there is a need to cancel removing a Command from a Command group, simply press the escape key or drop the Command back into the Command group.
Command groups are created as serial group types by default. To change the Command group type, open the edit Command group properties and choose the appropriate toggle and save the Command group. Additionally, group properties can also be edited, such as the Name, Description, Iteration, and order of the Commands.
To quickly see which Commands are part of the Command group, use a mouse and hover over an individual Command or tabbing to the Command via the keyboard to reveal the Command name.
To see a list of the Commands, edit the Command configuration for a Command group.
Only Serial Command Groups
Only serial Command groups can be reordered.
To re-order a group, there are two options.
- Option 1: From the Chain view, click on the Command group and see that icons will appear to the right of the Command Group. Look for the re-order icon and click it to start reordering (icons will have tooltips on hover). Once the icon is clicked, reorder the Commands by dragging Command to a new position. When re-ordering is finished, click the reorder icon again to confirm the changes.
- Option 2: Another way to reorder the Commands in a Command Group is to edit the Command group configuration. Click on a group, and again, icons will appear to the right. Click the edit icon to open the Command Group editor. A section will appear listing the Commands, which can be reordered using the drag control. When editing is complete, click "Save" to confirm.
Command groups can be expanded and collapsed to create more room in the Chain. Use the visibility icon to toggle whether a Command is collapsed or expanded.
Learn how to leverage Command Outputs.